Rules

Respect.
Drama is better kept IC. Respect is key between members; if you want respect you must give respect. If there's a problem with a member please contact either one of the mods or one of the admins.

Site Rating
TAOE is an intermediate to advanced, mature rated site [M], so we ask that all members to be just that; mature. There can be some pretty heavy subject matter so be warned. No characters below 18 years old. NPCs like children and such can be mentioned. ​There will be no child molester characters allowed on this site.

Word Count
Though there's no word count, we ask that you try and match your partner's number of words. It's no fun when you write a nice big paragraph and you get a couple sentences back, right? Then don't do it.

Number of Characters
There's no limit to the amount of characters you can make, however before you can make a second character, we ask that your first character has 10 IC posts. Same goes for any subsequent character. PLEASE KEEP YOUR CHARACTERS ACTIVE IF YOU WANNA KEEP THEM.

Registration
Register your character as "First Last" on the site, with your character names. If you messed up somehow talk to an admin, they'll be more then glad to edit your name for you. OOC accounts are reserved for Admins and Moderators, so please do not make them!

Avatar pics are 250px by 300px. The personal image on the minioprofile is a square and will resize automatically. This can be an image that represents the player, much like the avatars on the cbox! The Gif is 230px by 110px. Since the skin was so nicely coded by YunoTheNine, we ask to have high quality images please, keep the site pretty. Here is a link to help crop images and gifs: EZGif | PicMonkey

Faceclaims
We ask that all faceclaims/play bys to be of actors of age (17 and older). We also ask them to be of real people (actors, models, etc, someone you can get pics and gifs), no anime or other cartoon characters. If you want to use art of your character you can put that in your signature, if you wish.

God-Modding
There will be none tolerated. There are rules to character powers and such for that reason, please see those sections in order to make sure you're not making your character too strong. If you have any questions contact an admin or mod and they'll be more then happy to help!

Templates
We simply ask (please) that you use the basic template which is provided within the posts, super easy, either click on the button that says "template" when you write your post or write [template][/*template] at the beginning and end of a post (minus the star). Plotters are required to have a template, but there's lots of resource sites for that such as Caution to the Wind

Classification
Generally speaking, the only classification changes characters can undergo is from Pure to Imperfect. Characters can POTENTIALLY go back to Elisium pretending to be Pures, but that would be a very elaborate plot that needs to be discussed with either By or Jonah before it happens.

Copyright
Everything on this site is copyrighted to the said members or individuals here on TAOE. Skin was made by YunoTheNine of Shine. Templates and Graphics belong to the rightful owners, and there will be no stealing characters either. So we will put it frank, you steal ANYTHING without giving the proper credit, you will be banned. No warning.

MOST IMPORTANTLY
We're all here to have a good time! So kick back, write loads, and have fun~! Make some friends! Like, for instance, Steve Buscemi, who also happens to be the password that you need to send to an admin via PM in order to get accepted. ;)

Plot

GENERAL

TAOE is set in the biggest city, Haven, of the Isle of Man, an island reserved for those the government deems 'imperfect'. Sexual orientation, gender expression, mental and physical health, intelligence, your willingness to cooperate... It all leads up to your ultimate downfall, the one that brings you to the doors of Haven. The weather is harsh, the streets are filthy, and most of the inhabitants live in poverty, fighting for sport and profit, and joining gangs to get by. It's a tough life, that in Haven, but hey; someone has to be a scapegoat.

But little does the government know, there's something about the Isle of Man that changes its inhabitants. They call it the Flux, and it's quite the phenomenon, leaving people who were once only usual in spirit or body, now unusual in ability. It's like a power, one that can come suddenly, or over time, or even not at all. It all depends, person to person, and is, for whatever reason, all based around the citizen's personality. Whether you're Pure or Imperfect, you have a chance of being blessed, or cursed.

Yet, through this rejection and hardship this is where home lies, and this is your chance to make it so.

HISTORY

The Authority is in place to protect us. They serve us to the best of their ability, they protect the citizens of this country until their very last dying breath. Long ago was a time where there was no peace. War raged upon the land, death and destruction ravaged the people, destroyed their homes, split them apart into chaos. In their desperation for control over the anarchy and disarray, the Authority stepped into their ranks, unannounced, unwelcome at first. This did not last.
They lured the people into their grasp with the promise of peace and prosperity, a vow to food, the end of crime and violence. Of course, the good, the bad and the ugly wanted in on this pledge, and many started taking advantage of the system. Like leeches they sucked, squeezed what they could of the government, to the point where there was general alarm, the populace began to notice! And thus began the weeding.
At first it was but criminals, the worst of the worst, all raided and plucked from the public eye, sent away to an undisclosed location for the safety of the country. But their haul through time grew in size; illness causes panic, those who are sick must be put somewhere else, disability, lest it be mental or physical, leads to voids in the community, gender should be a norm of two, no more no less, and those who do not confirm are to be re-educated or removed... the list for their demands grew longer and more elaborate.

Soon, correctional and holding facilities for these so dubbed Imperfects were so overcrowded you might as well akin them to cans of sardines. The Authority realized they needed a different strategy to keep these people from their Pure society.

They found an island, abandoned from times past, a city crumbling from within. The Isle of Man, reclaiming the city as their own they called it Haven in order to mask the true atrocity behind their Elisium.

This was sixty years ago. We are now the year 2021, three generations into Haven's rebirth.

STAFF

ADMINS

------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the By

AHOY MATEYS, this is your friendly neighborhood By peeking her face through the blinds and saying hello~! Been at this RPing thing since I was just a WEE LASS and man if I've come this far I must like it eh? Currently known as your local thread hoarder and one of the admins of TAOE! We've all been working ultra hard on this site so I hope it fills all the little cackles of your writing hearts~
pssttt don't be shy, none of us bite, promise. 8D

Jonah

Guess what! By's a dirty liar. ​I​ bite. I go right for the jugular, every time. My name's Jonah, I'm a cute little baby boy, and I've been at this writing biz for about three years now. I'm not completely dead inside, but boy, am I on my way there! I'm a lean mean posting machine, and I like to just eat chocolate frosting sometimes. I just eat it. Right out of the thing. Give me your love.

Randi

I’m a die hard potterhead, metal head, and coffee addict. I have four dogs, two chihuahuas named Tali and Liara, a pitbull named Surri Dog, and an American Staffordshire Terrier named Norma Jean. I’m a bit of a crazy dog lady, but I’m okay with it.

Roman

Yo, I'm Roman! I'm a little noodle who wears too much black with hair as red as a fire truck. I am a firm believer in the power of art, and one day I hope to free all the animals from Sea World while Fall out Boy's "Folie à Deux" album plays in the background. I'm always open to talk about anything from plotting to personal life, so don't hesitate to hit me up! Happy writing!

Angel

Hi guys, I'm AngelRayne, you can either call me Angel, Rayne, or some variation, just let me know my name and I'll respond! Anyways I'm the site's official cuddler/snuggler. So if you ever need a hug/cuddle/snuggle let me know and I will drown you in cuddles. And as you may have guessed, YOU'RE ALL ​​MINE​​!

Grace

Greetings fellow earthlings! The name's Grace, and I'm the resident ninja and Queen of typos here. But aside from that, I'm just your typical random oddball who's into K-pop, watching anime, and loves shoving her face into books.... Well, not really. I just love to read x3 Anywho I've been doing this whole roleplaying thang since way back in 2008 and it's safe to say that I've become addicted. So why not come and be addicts with us all? Okay, yeah. That's a weird way to put it. Just join us pretty please~? We're nice peeps, I swear!

Yuno

Omg, I get to type and say hi to you guys! Like, what?! Hehe, hi there, most of you know me from our time elsewhere together, but for anyone who came after I left on the old site: hello. My name is Yuno, or fully "YunoTheNinetales." I picked up coding about a year ago, a little more by now, and honestly I love it. Beyond just the coding itself, though, I love helping other people figure it out. So, seriously, if you ever want some help coding something, learning how to do it, or simply fixing a bug that you cant find; feel free to hit me with a PM~!. You're also more than welcome to make requests on my CTTW Bird House. Love you all, happy posting! -Regards; Yuno

News

01/02/2016 - Happy birthday to Monkey the Hamster! He just turned two, which is very impressive for a creature of his size. Congratulate him for this brand new chapter of his life!

01/03/2016 - Hope you all had a fantastic holiday season and happy birthday to Grace~! We all love you, and we hope you get everything you want, as well as love, hugs, smothers and COOKIES. Yes. We love you. <3

11/22/2015 - Merry Christmas to everyone! Yuno has created a new site skin as a Christmas gift. Love you all and hope you like it! any questions or comments, please contact Yuno via a PM for assistance. Always happy to help!

09/21/2015 - HAPPY BIRTHDAY JONAHPONAH. WE ALL KNOW YOU PROBABLY GOT YOURSELF DRUNK ON CAKE SO HOPE IT WAS A FANTABULOUS DAY. LOTS OF LOVE TO YOU, MAY THIS DAY BE MERRY MERRY MERRY.

09/15/2015 - Got some new ads you can spread the good word with, check 'em out!

09/01/2015 - We are now officially open!
In loving memory of Kaityn Rayne.

Whether you're new or old to this community, one person we have always got to remember is out loving friend Kaityn Rayne. She was a very creative and great person, easy to talk to and always there. Anyone who knew Kaityn knows just how nice she was.

For a lot of us, she was the first person to speak to us and welcome us to the community. As of the 28th of June she has no longer been with us. It's a very sad thing, although Kaityn was the kind of person who wouldn't want us to be upset with her not being here. That being said, in her honor we are working hard to write amazing new stories. Her memory will always be with us. Kaityn, we love you. ♥
-Yuno

Trailer
TAOE is set in the biggest city, Haven, of the Isle of Man, an island reserved for those the government deems 'imperfect'. Sexual orientation, gender expression, mental and physical health, intelligence, your willingness to cooperate... It all leads up to your ultimate downfall, the one that brings you to the doors of Haven. The weather is harsh, the streets are filthy, and most of the inhabitants live in poverty, fighting for sport and profit, and joining gangs to get by. It's a tough life, that in Haven, but hey; someone has to be a scapegoat.

Add Reply
New Poll

Show Me the Way, Kae and River
Kaeneus Antle
 Posted: Jun 10 2016, 11:47 PM
21 Years. Male. Brats. Mechanic. Straight. Application. Shipper.
As played by: Lawrence

Kaeneus was more nervous than he'd ever been. He'd been waiting where he'd been told to for almost half an hour, and everything about the place made him feel unsafe. He tried to avoid coming into the ruins whenever possible. He sometimes had to scavenge for parts, but if there was a way around it, he'd take it. But there was no way fo avoiding this.

This was where he was supposed to meet the Brats, there was no negotiating the location. Kaeneus tried not to think too much about the fact that he'd soon be meeting with gang members. It probably wasn't the best life choice but, well, he didn't have many options. The workshop just wasn't bringing in enough money on its own. Besides, better the Brats than the Empire. He figured with them, the stakes wouldn't be as high. The Brats were troublemakers and a thorn in the side of the authorities, but most of them lacked the cold blood it took to straight up murder someone. At least, that's what he hoped, but as the minutes passed he was becoming less and less sure.

What if he was just a pawn? Just some idiot they planned to rob and leave to die. Kaeneus checked his watch again.... then unbuckled it and tucked it into his pocket. Maybe if he looked poor enough, they'd leave him be.

--------------------
"High, I wanna take a walk in the wild."
"I wanna feel our hearts collide."
PM
^
River Black
 Posted: Jun 11 2016, 01:05 AM
22 Years. Male. Brats. Ace. Heterosexual. Application. Shipper.
As played by: Ciel

The disadvantage of being a higher-up was having to be a responsible person. Granted, River was probably the most responsible person in the Brats, but that didn't mean he wanted to be. Growing up having to raise himself put an understandable amount of strain on his psyche, but, on the up side, it gave him the capacity to be responsible for every-fucking-one else, too. It was almost like eating dog shit for the hints of undigested food in it. Sure, you'd get something for your trouble, but in the end, you just ate dog shit, so who really won here?

New recruits were a River problem. Though whether it was because he was good at talking or because he was the only one who knew how to be civil was debatable. Either way, River was already lacing up his boots, the very same boots that looked like a rather large animal had sunk their teeth in them and dragged them from here to Elisium, yet there was no animal involved. They had once been black boots, but were now dust brown, and the soles were nearly transparent. Work shoes, he called them, but in reality they were everything shoes.

River was supposed to travel alone on this one and simply pray to whatever god that this new person wasn't an Empire member playing innocent. But by now, after twenty-two years in Haven, River never traveled alone--he always kept a knife, a large one, strapped to his belt with a long shirt to cover it. He'd never used it, not directly, but he has had to threaten people with it. It made him sick to even think of using it, though.

So after fastening the knife to his belt, testing its hold once, twice, he pulled on his tattered black duster jacket, its hems ripped from overuse, then he snaked out the door of his home. He was careful to poke his head out first, look left and right, and then depart. Who knew what kind of shit could be going down at his doorstep?

When River reached the place in which he was told the new recruit would be waiting, he slowed his gait and approached it cautiously, keeping his ears open and eyes wide. The guy he saw looked harmless enough--actually, he looked incredibly harmless, so much so that River was confident when he strode up to him. "You're the new guy?" asked River in a condescending manner. He looked him over from toe to tiara. "Who're you exactly?" The question had multiple implications: what his name was, who he thought he was, and who he really was. River loved playing the tough overseer on new recruits because then, even when they got to know that he was quite easygoing, they'd still be a little afraid of him deep down.
PM
^
Kaeneus Antle
 Posted: Jun 11 2016, 03:39 AM

Kaeneus almost walked off nearly a dozen times. It would be so easy to just, bail out. Cut his losses and head home, hopefully think of a different way to earn the money he needed. A better way. But something kept him. He was curious, now. About who would meet him. About what they might say. About what the Brats had to offer.

When he only saw one guy coming to meet him, he was more than relieved. Kae didn't think he could handle an entire interrogation party. He was nervous enough in a one on one interaction. Being outnumbered would've made keeping a cool face all but impossible.

On the first look, the guy didn't seem too dangerous. A little..... mischevious, maybe. Something about the way he walked, the way he carried himself, gave off that air. The worn down clothes didn't exactly help that image, either. Kaeneus also failed to notice any obvious weapon on him. He supposed that was a good thing. Even if the stranger was carrying, he at least wasn't out to openly intimidate him.

“I'm Kaeneus,” he said, when the man asked him who he was. He put his hand out for him to shake, “Everyone calls me Kae. I'm…” Kaeneus pauses for a moment, willing himself not to say something stupid like he was often want to do, "I'm the new guy, like you said.”

Kaeneus felt the strangers case very intently. He could tell he was being judged, inspected. It was a look he was very used to, but still not comfortable with. He consciously lent a bit forward, lifted his shoulders and try to make himself seem a little bigger.

--------------------
PM
^
Kaeneus Antle
 Posted: Jun 11 2016, 03:40 AM

i think i accidentally double posted lol IGNORE THIS

--------------------
PM
^
River Black
 Posted: Jun 15 2016, 02:47 PM

The first thought in River's head was, admittedly, a judgmental one, one that said this new recruit was either terribly undernourished or just naturally lanky. Not that River had much room to talk. But he at least had some muscle, some tone; this guy... was questionable.

River eyed the man's hand, then glanced back up toward his eyes, a hint of smugness on his expression. "You're not the new guy yet," River said with a teaspoon of indignation. His visage remained unmoved for a few moments before he finally let up his faux-tough guise. "I'm River. I'm an Ace in the Brats." Though he wasn't being condescending anymore, he still had a diplomatic tone and stance. Kaeneus was still being tested, still on the line as to whether or not River would extend his alliance to him.

"What makes you wanna join the Brats anyway? Huh? We're not the Empire, we don't kill people, so if you're looking for a hitman, you'd better find a new gang. But we're not the Robin Hood-Sentinels either," River explained and shrugged his shoulders. Kaeneus didn't seem like the type to want to join the Empire (he definitely didn't look it either), but River had learned that, in Haven, the smaller people usually had something to prove. He certainly did, and he'd admit it--he had to prove that he wasn't just a people-pleaser. He could do so much more than that! Hell, he could even be dangerous!

Black eyes raked over Kaeneus' form again, noticing the not-so-subtle changes in disposition, and River broke into a grin. "You got any special talents, Kae?" he asked ominously, tilting his head just a little. Something about Kae's thought to change how he appeared humored River, and so he was leaning more toward allowing him in the Brats than not, but he still had to evaluate his worth because River was evaluated for his before he was able to join, so it was only fair!
PM
^
Kaeneus Antle
 Posted: Jun 16 2016, 03:22 AM

Kae was very used to being looked at. Inspected. He didn't make sense to some (most) people, so he'd learned how to carry himself to make people see what he wanted them too. But River seemed a bit more...inquisitive.

River asked him why he wanted to join, and Kae realised that he didn't 100% know why himself. He had thought about the Sentinels, actually -their values seemed more in line with his own - but something about the Brats gave him the impression there would be more opportunities for him there. He knew they had black market connections. Maybe he could find what he was looking for, eventually.

But he thought that answer wouldn't satisfy River. Not everyone knew what it was like to spend some long looking for something, and he couldn't bet on River's compassion if he didn't understand. So he chose to explain it in a way anyone would understand.

"Why does anyone do anything?" He said. "I need money. I know there's more of that in the Empire but, call me old-fashioned, something about cold-blooded murder just doesn't sit right with me."

Kea had considered the Empire too. He was ashamed to admit it, but there had been moments - moments when things were hardest, when he was the most desperate - that he could almost understand. Understand what drove people to do such horrible things for drugs or money. Luckily, he had too much self-control to give joining them any serious thought.

Kae could tell that River thought it was strange, him wanting to join. He knew he didn't look like the type. He was too small, too short, too thin for most people to think he was useful. He could tell River was searching for a reason to let him join.

"I'm real good at fixing things. Making them, too. I'm a mechanic. Guns, cars, machines... if it has moving parts I can probably figure it out."

--------------------
PM
^
River Black
 Posted: Jun 18 2016, 03:14 AM

River, though usually not power-hungry, loved when he had the chance to assert himself. Was it a cruel thing? No, it was a human thing, or at least that's what River believed. Hierarchies were naturally established because people fell into categories based on their personalities, and, despite the fact that he loathed his standing in society, he liked it within the Brats. He had done it; he had landed among the top! The elite! Well, yeah, in a gang, but it was the closest thing to family he actually had.

And when letting someone into your family, you always had to inspect them closely, sniff out any imperfections.

He seemed honest enough. Humble enough. He answered River's questions without any lip. Like any back-patting employer, River enjoyed a good ass-kisser, but he kind of had a feeling that Kae wouldn't go that far. He liked that, too. After all, they were in a gang, not a Fortune 500 company.

"What about the Sentinels?" River asked, mostly ignoring the rest of Kae's comment. "You could have joined them. They take just about any Joe-schmo." He wasn't looking to deter Kaeneus, but simply to... poke at where his loyalties lied.

When he mentioned that he was a mechanic, however, River's expression came full-circle, and, despite trying to keep a poker face, his brows raised and jaw slacked a bit. "You really can?" he asked incredulously before picking himself up. "Maybe you do belong in the Brats, then." River composed himself and pushed his usual smug grin onto his lips. "The Sentinels wouldn't know what to do with you, and the Empire would just kill you for being better than them at anything. We know a person's worth, trust me. Just look at me--from nobody to Ace in less than a year."
PM
^
Kaeneus Antle
 Posted: Jun 19 2016, 06:21 AM

Kae could tell his play had worked. River seemed impressed. He didn't want to jinx it, but if he didn't completely mess it up now, Kae was pretty sure he had a good chance to get in. He knew going in that his skills were the ace up his sleeve, and he'd been counting on a reaction like this. Mechanics were rare, and his skill was a valuable one when anything and everything had to be salvaged. All he had to do was make sure he didn't piss River off too much, given the current situation of him being nobody and River being an ace.

"That's....impressive," Kae said, raising an eyebrow. It was impressive, really, but Kae was still hesitant. He, personally, didn't really have much interest in advancing up the rank. The Brats weren't supposed to be a lifetime deal for him. Honestly, he'd be shocked if he ended up staying for a whole year. No, he wasn't interested in promotion, and that was probably for the best. Ambition hadn't served him well in the past.

"But I'm really...not looking to take your job, or anything like that. I'm not the type to get messed up in that, I'm not that dumb. I'm good at taking orders, and I'm reliable, and so long as no one I'm working with is trying to kill me, I can be a good team player."

Kaeneus realised he was on the verge of rambling, and tried to catch himself before he went too far off track. Last thing he wanted to do was make himself look like an idiot in front of a potential new employer.

--------------------
PM
^
River Black
 Posted: Jun 24 2016, 09:27 PM

It was a tall claim, to be a mechanic, especially in a place where there weren't many opportunities afforded to practice such a skill. How did he become a fixer-upper? Who taught him how to do it? Most people in Haven wouldn't willingly teach such a trade because it meant more competition. Though, River supposed, it was possible he had learned it himself. Just because he had never taught himself anything but to survive didn't mean that Kaeneus couldn't teach himself something useful.

Someone who was good at taking orders? River audibly scoffed. Now that was a rarity! "You really know how to sell yourself, you know?" he said, grinning. He then straightened, acquiring a more serious expression and tightening his lips. His brows were pensive, and his eyes scrupulously examined Kaeneus for the third time. "As much as I'd like to welcome you with open arms right here on the spot, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ask you to prove you can do what you say you can do."

River stuck both his hands in either of his jacket pockets and began rummaging around. After a few moments, he pulled out a watch with black faux-leather straps and a silver circumference. Holding it up to Kaeneus, it was easy to tell that the silver hands were no longer moving across the cartograph of numbers. "Can you fix this? Or at least tell me what's wrong with it? And don't tell me the battery's dead because I've tried that already," he said with a sneer. It wasn't his watch. It was one he had found from his escapade through some East End houses with Maddi, but it was useless as it was, lifeless as the people in Haven.

Everyone had to prove they were worth their salt to get into the Brats and Kae was no exception, especially after such an extraordinary claim; he had more to prove than any of them, but the most valuable people always did.
PM
^
Kaeneus Antle
 Posted: Jun 24 2016, 10:09 PM

"Understandable." Honestly, if they'd let him in without testing him, Kae would be worried about exactly what type or organisation he was joining. He was more than up to the test.

Kaeneus took the watch from River, holding it by the strap. He turned it around in his hands, inspecting the outside. He was looking for any obvious damage. When he found none, he flipped the face over in his hand, inspecting the back.

"I didn't bring my tools," Kae said ,"I guess I'll have to make due." Kae always carried a swiss army knife on his. Even though it wasn't exactly perfect, he would have to manage without any of his more high-quality equipment. He reached into his jacket and pulled it out, and flipped out the knife attachment. He pried off the back of the watch, and set on inspecting the insides.

The light here was poor. He had to take a few steps back and turn around to try and get the best light. He leaned in closely, inspecting the gears.

"Ah," he said, looking up to River "The electronic part is fine, but your crown wheel's too worn down. It'll have to be replaced. I can do that at my workshop."

He handed the watch back to River. Perhaps River wouldn't be happy that he wasn't able to just fix it, but Kae wasn't a miracle worker. That would have to be good enough.

--------------------
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
Fast Reply
New Poll

THE TAG BOX

Welcome to the tag box for TAOE. Just a couple quick notes before you start using it:

• Please put the thread link in your name
• State the alias of the person you're tagging.
• State the name of the character.
• State the name of the thread

Thanks so much in advanced to following our simple tag box rules! Happy posting!

-Your lovely staff.

Cbox
The Affliliates
RPG-D TFC TFC